[Daniel's week] April 12, 2024

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Fri Apr 12 23:17:51 CEST 2024

Hello!

We survived another week. Here are some of the things that kept my occupied.

## reproducibility

I wrote up a blog post about verifying curl releases [1]. A few related curl
PRs that have been getting attention this week cover running containers to do
these curl releases with, in order to make them easier to reproduce in a
future and for others than the curl release manager (me).

Questions that have come up include: How to make sure that users can actually
reproduce releases in a convenient way after a release? How long after a
release do we think users want to verify releases and how to we best provide
that ability?

We currently have two lines of arguments and proposals, one arguing for a
Debian based container [2] and one based on Stagex [3].

The jury is still out on exactly which way we will go on this and how we will
proceed and no matter which solution we will pick now, I am sure this is a
subject that we need to revisit going forward. I do however think that
independently of which way we pick here now, it will be a step forward and we
can and will always adapt and adjust in the future.

## feature window

While there were several regressions in the previous release, no one shouted
loud enough or nagged us to death in issues to make us do a follow-up patch
release. Instead we opened the feature window last weekend and with the
floodgates opened we have merged three new changes this week, with potentially
a few more coming before we close this window again on April 27.

## ECH

One of the PRs that may or may not get merged this time is experimental
support for ECH [5] which has been stewing for a long time already. I hope to
review and assist with this PR and maybe it will happen this cycle.

## curl up

The first attempt at an actual agenda for curl up 2024 is now live on the page
[4]. There is still room for more talks and time for switching things around
in case anyone wants to.

The venue is booked. I have ordered tshirts. We have "curl contributor" mugs
on their way. I have a booking going for a fun restaurant for the Saturday
dinner and I have plans for the Friday dinner event.

I think this can become another fun curl up! Only three weeks to go.

## Coming up

- Review of the ECH PR

## Links

[1] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2024/04/10/verified-curl/