[Daniel's week] March 8, 2024

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Fri Mar 8 22:44:27 CET 2024

Hello!

## off again

I was off last Friday which made me miss to send my weekly email again. I
believe I will be back to a more regular weekly schedule now, but I will not
make any promises. Last week, I took my wife and son up to a Swedish ski
resort for a few days and we had an excellent time.

## podcasts

Last week I guested three podcast recordings, out of which one has been
published. I talked about FOSDEM and CVEs [1] in Swedish on the long-going
podcast *kodsnack*. It was the fourth time I was a guest on the kodsnack
podcast.

The other two are still pending publication.

## dropping nroff

I worked on and finally merged an effort to drop nroff from the curl build
[2].

## vulnerabilities

We have one confirmed CVE queued up for publication with the next release.
This week we have two more contenders that right now look like they might be
CVE material. None of these is higher than a severity Medium issue.

## distro discussion

The coming curl distro discussion [3] is now less than two weeks away and we
have managed to get more and more distributions and curl distributors to sign
up to attend. I am really looking forward to this.

## curl up

Unfortunately it took longer time than anticipated to get a confirmation for a
city of where to run curl up 2024 [4], as the preferred options fell through.
Hoping to get this settled really soon now.

## GitHub star

I was chosen a GitHub Star for 2024 [5]. On honor I have had since 2021 [6].
This role provides me great insights into coming GitHub features and
developments and also gives me a good channel for me to bring my feedback and
opportunities to share my views on what GitHub lacks and should fix. Quite
apparently however, they don't always put my wishes on top of their agenda.
Oh, and it makes me continuously receive quite a lot of GitHub branded
merchandise.

## feature freeze

We have enterred the curl feature freeze period for the coming next release.
Now we only merge bugfixes into the master branch until the 8.7.0 ships, which
will happen on March 27.

## Coming up

- several curl related meetings with old and potentially new customers

## Links

[1] = https://kodsnack.se/572/
[2] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2024/03/07/curls-built-in-manual-without-nroff/
[3] = https://github.com/curl/curl/wiki/curl-distro-discussion-2024/