[Daniel's week] April 7, 2023

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Fri Apr 7 20:01:16 CEST 2023

Hello my friend!

These are some of the things that happened for me this week:

## trurl

The URL manipulation tool got renamed trurl [1] and this week it took off a
little. Several Linux distros already package it, we did a 0.2 and a 0.3
release [2]. I made a video presentation about it [3] and I created a first
simple website for the tool [4]. By the time it was a week old, it had reached
1,700 GitHub stars and we have had code contributions merged from 15 different
authors.

It is already a quite capable tool with many features.

I keep it at 0.x versions to allow us to move fast and experiment with how we
want to do things and therefore also possibly break previous command lines
without notice if we figure out better approaches. I don't want to rush this
into a "real" release until we feel certain we have nailed the basics.

## webinar

Stefan Eissing and I did a webinar about QUIC and HTTP/3 in curl. HTTP/3 in
curl is now basically on par feature-wise with HTTP/2. This does unfortunately
not mean that we have removed the "experimental" tag from it: we still await
the QUIC/h3 libraries that we depend on to reach a non-beta status before we
take that step so that we know that our foundation is solid. Hopefully, this
is not too far off in the future.

## curl

There's not a week without a lot of stuff happening over in the curl
camp. Notable things the last seven days include:

I found two (minor) URL parser bugs while working on trurl and I landed fixes
of both, making URL parsing one notch better going forward.

We merged HTTP/2 proxy support into curl this week. This is work mostly done
by Stefan Eissing and it still lacks some components - like for example how
applications actually are supposed to enable this feature both using the API
and the command line tool, but that is about to get fixed the coming days.

Dan Fandrich has continued his work on improving the test infrastructure.
Mostly cleaning up things and laying the groundwork for the coming parallelism
work.

## Fossified

We published Fossified episode three [5], in which we talked about why there
are so few women in FOSS and what possibly we all should and can do about it.

## Coming up

- Will talk trurl as a guest on a podcast recording
- I will attempt to stream development on Tuesday
- I might do some more pre-releases of trurl

## Links

[1] = https://github.com/curl/trurl
[2] = https://github.com/curl/trurl/releases/tag/trurl-0.3
[3] = https://youtu.be/oDL7DVszr2w