[Daniel's week] April 22, 2023

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Sat Apr 22 16:40:41 CEST 2023

Hello friends.

I've been traveling a bit this week, hence me sending this a little later than
usual.

## Keynote

I kicked off the Tuesday this week by keynoting an "OpenForum Europe" event
[4] in Stockholm where a lot of EU policy makers and thinkers had a whole-day
thing where they talked Open Source and EU. I told them the story about curl
and how its development and rise matches the rise of Open Source in general. I
got a lot of positive feedback and in the two following panel sessions that I
watched, there were a lot of references back to my leading presentation.

And I handed out lots of curl stickers!

## Berlin

Wednesday I flew down to Berlin (and brought my 19yo daughter to spice it up),
where I attended a two-day meetup Thursday and Friday organized by the
Sovereign Tech Fund [3]. This is the end of the pilot round, the first wave of
funding from them and there was a lot of feedback and information exchange in
both directions. I got to meet representatives from most of the other Open
Source projects that also got funded this time. Awesome people that made for
great conversations.

And I handed out lots of curl stickers!

## Feature freeze

We entered feature freeze [5] this week for curl so we will not accept any
more changes/features merged before the pending next release. We plan on
shipping curl 8.1.0 on May 17.

## Security

We have received and confirmed two security problems to announce with the next
release and we have third report that arrived during my trip this week so I
have not yet been able to dig into its details. From a cursory look, it
appears it might become a 3rd one.

I still have on my plate to set something up to replace the distros mailing
list for announcing coming curl security advisories. I hope to manage to have
something to tell you about next week.

## trurl

I made a 0.5 release [6] early this week that had some minor mistakes in it,
but we also merged more things after that and I find it likely that we will
continue to do pre-releases maybe on a weekly basis for a while.

## checkmark

Over on Twitter they eventually removed my blue checkmark. The checkmark I got
without asking for it, around the time when I was first refused to go to the
US back in June 2017 [1]. Find me on Mastodon these days [2].

## Coming up

- curl-notify how to get told about pending curl security advisories
- more trurl polish

## Links

[1] = https://twitter.com/bagder/status/879198063998513152
[2] = https://mastodon.social/@bagder