[Daniel's week] March 31, 2023

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Fri Mar 31 18:27:09 CEST 2023

Hello friends.

We survived another eventful week.

## Performance

This afternoon we ran some performance checks and we could conclude that the
current curl master branch can do 50 parallel download transfers using h2+TLS
at 2477 MB/sec on my machine. This is an amazing **three** times faster than
the exact same test performs when I test 7.86.0, released only 4 months ago...

I think we can conclude that the h2/h3 refactoring has been productive!

## Fossified

We recorded another Fossified [3] episode this week. I had fun and I hope
listeners will appreciate it. I really do enjoy doing these. Hopefully this
3rd episode comes out early next week.

## urler

After discussions on the curl-users mailing list this week around new possible
command line powers to add to the curl tool, I created a new command line tool
[4] designed exclusively for doing URL parsing and manipulations. After having
"announced" it on Mastodon and later Twitter there is already a few issues and
feedback on how to improve it and turn it into a useful thing.

The name "urler" might not be the best, but let's see what better alternatives
we can come up with [5] before we make a decision.

I think with a little luck and effort, this thing might become a really handy
and useful "companion tool" when doing curl tricks in shell scripts
everywhere.

What do you think it should do?

## feature window

We opened the curl feature window on Thursday and we have already merged a
number of pull-requests that were awaiting this moment. Now we will have the
window open and allow new features to get merged during three weeks until it
closes again for the pending next release: 8.1.0.

This is adapted to the new project release cycle layout, even if this specific
cycle is slightly odd since the previous release was done on a Monday.

## live-coding

During one of my live-streamed coding sessions [6] this week it was reported
that there was over 800 unique watchers, with over 100 concurrent once as a
max. It fascinates me but also gives me motivation to more of these. I will
try to do more of them going forward, perhaps even at a fixed weekly
schedule. You can of course always watch them after the fact on my YouTube
channel [7].

## parallel tests

Dan Fandrich has kicked off his work on parallizing the main curl test suite
and has merged a whole series of commits already. This is really encouraging
and I have high hopes and expectations on this work. This could really improve
many curl developers' lives and truly help us take testing to the next level
as we keep adding more test cases.

## Pre-notification

I bloggged about the curl pre-notification situation [1] and the post made its
round places on both LWN and Hacker News.

## Bloomberg

Bloomberg donated 10,000 USD to the curl project [2].

## Google Open Source Peer Bonus award

I have (yet again) been awarded a Google Open Source Peer Bonus award, and I
have accepted it. Amusingly, I don't know yet *what* exactly I will get
though. I was previously awarded this in 2020 [8].

## Coming up

- I will do an in-person interview on Monday when a reporter comes to my
   home
- I will live-stream on Tuesday
- Me and Stefan Eissing does a h3+quic with curl+wolfSSL webinar on April 6

## Links

[1] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/03/29/pre-notification-dilemmas/
[2] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2023/03/28/a-bloomberg-donation/
[3] = https://pod.fossified.com/