Support for configurable "hosts"

Brad House brad at brad-house.com
Tue May 3 01:59:31 CEST 2022

On 5/2/22 1:53 PM, Manish Mehra via c-ares wrote:
> Hi,
>
> c-ares provides application to configure resolvconf path. However, no
> support exists for configurable “hosts” file for file_lookup function.
>
> Please find attached diff which adds support for ARES_OPT_HOSTS_FILE
> which can be set with ares_init_options function.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Manish
>
> P.S: Could not create a private branch for pull request. Is there any
> policy in place to allow creation of private
>
> # git push origin hosts_path_opt
> ERROR: Permission to c-ares/c-ares.git denied to mmehra.
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.

The patch looks good at first glance, don't see why this wouldn't be
accepted.

Regarding the issue creating a PR, I'd have to see more commands for how
you forked the repository, then set the remote and origin to say where
something might have messed up.

If possible it would be great if you can try again
(https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/quickstart/fork-a-repo) and
create a PR (once you commit to your fork, the github UI provides an
easy interface to create a PR, usually prompts you at the top when you
view your fork.  A PR will then go through the c-ares auto-build program
to ensure all tests pass on all platforms.  It makes it easier to accept
the patch.

Thanks!
-Brad